Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Giving someone the bird

Last week as I was driving through the picturesk community of Newberry(west end of billtown), no bid deal, normal sunny day. What looked to be a gentlemanly older fellow driving in his olds approached the stop sign I was approaching as well. I got the four way stop sign first, but I had an eerie feeling. For some reason, I can't explain why I didn't continue driving throught stop sign, I eased out as the old man flew through the stop sign as if he had the right. At first I was like holy #:it I almost got killed by that old guy, even more to my amazement, the old bastard gave me the finger. I don't know if he was on a joy ride from the old folks home or what, but he was on a mission, and I was apparently standing in his way.

This story leads into a question I have thought about many times. When was flipping someone off first deemed bad? Like did Adam flip off Eve in the garden of Eden after talking him into eating the forbidden fruit? Do you think Joan of Arc gave everyone the bird before she was burned at the stake? You can go through the annals of history, but can we truely trace the origins of flipping someone off back to its original roots??

No comments:

Post a Comment